PUSH Your Own Limits and See Just How Much Further and Faster You Can Go
Mastermind Groups are the Secret Weapon of Successful People
Masterminds have been around since the time of Socrates. Even Ben Franklin had his version that he called a junto. The modern concept of a mastermind started with Napoleon Hill who wrote one of the best business books of all time: “Think and Grow Rich”. In it he talks about the power of the mastermind (alliance) and says:
“A mastermind alliance consists of two or more minds working actively together in perfect harmony toward a common definite objective.
“Through a mastermind alliance you can appropriate and use the full strength of the experience, training, and knowledge of others just as if they were your own.
“No individual has ever achieved success without the help and cooperation of others.”
You can find a mastermind group almost anywhere and they continue to gain popularity as people just like you are finding success through brainstorming with others, creating goals, holding each other accountable, and encouraging a positive mental attitude. A mastermind keeps you on target and moving forward with the important things in your personal and professional life.
When you’re a member of a mastermind group you’re able to accelerate growth and productivity for yourself and your business. There’s an amazing power when you have a sense of shared effort and intention while having the opportunity to help other members achieve their success at the same time as they’re helping you. Benefits to you include:
- Make decisions instead of staying stuck.
- Sharpen your business and personal skills.
- Tap into the experience and skills of your peers.
- Create real progress in your business.
- Take advantage of opportunities, instead of watching them go by
- Get honest feedback, advice, and creative brainstorming.
- Solve problems that have been stumping you for a long time.
- Create action plans and have the group hold you accountable.
- Receive critical insights into yourself and your business.
- Get validation for choices, decisions, or actions you’ve taken.
- Get your “reality check” for ideas or projects you are thinking about….and so much more.
What is a Mastermind?
Simplistically, a Mastermind is a group of people committed to their own growth and success and to being part of the growth and success of the others in the group. A Mastermind offers brainstorming, education, peer accountability, and support in a group setting to sharpen your business and personal skills.
During meetings participants challenge each other to set powerful goals, and more importantly, to accomplish them. The group requires commitment, confidentiality, willingness to both give and receive advice and ideas, and support each other with total honesty, respect, and compassion. Mastermind group members act as catalysts for growth, devil’s advocates, and supportive colleagues. This is the essence and value of mastermind groups.
How Does a Mastermind Hot Seat Work?
Agendas of meetings vary according to the Facilitator and the guidelines of the group. That said, the core of every group is in the Hot Seat. Each member, in turn, describes a problem they have, a decision needed to be made, or something they need ideas for. Other members brainstorm advice, ideas, solutions, and best practices in response to the situation presented. Hot Seats are where the real magic happens.
Is a Facilitator Really Necessary?
The role of the facilitator is to set up the meetings and ensure they are effective for all members. That means helping members be clear on what challenges they’re facing and how the group can help. The facilitator helps guide the discussion, keeps it focused, and manages the process. The facilitator may share their thoughts, but first they want to help get the best ideas and thoughts from group members. Most importantly, it’s the facilitator that sets the tone of the group. They are the one who creates the safe environment and makes it possible to have the kind of deep discussions that are meaningful, not just nice conversations.
Working with a trained Facilitator means you have a guide who’s trained in listening skills, knows how to manage the flow of conversations, can hold you accountable in a way that keeps you moving forward, and can step in when challenging situations arise. Couple that with coach training and you’ve got a winning combination for your Mastermind Facilitator.
What a mastermind is Not:
- A class. Guest speakers, other professionals, and experts may be brought into your group occasionally to provide training or insights into a specific topic or area of interest. However, the main focus of a mastermind group is the brainstorming, accountability, and support among group members.
- Group coaching. Group coaching is the Coach focused on one member at a time. The focus of a mastermind group is the MEMBERS sharing with each other. You get everyone’s feedback, advice, and support. If the Facilitator is an expert on the topic he will chime in while keeping the conversation balanced between all members.
- Networking group.The main purpose of Mastermind meetings is the focused attention members get during hot seats. However, the bonds you create with other members often lead to unexpected opportunities such as joint ventures, lead sharing, professional networking, and friendships. When you work closely in a relationship built on trust and mutual respect, there are many unexpected benefits.
We design all PUSH the Envelope Mastermind™ Groups to include members with similar interests and level of expertise so all members have an understanding of topics and issues that come up during meetings.